Call for Action
Software engineering is gravely hampered today by immature practices. Specific problems include:
- The prevalence of fads more typical of fashion industry than of an engineering discipline.
- The lack of a sound, widely accepted theoretical basis.
- The huge number of methods and method variants, with differences little understood and artificially magnified.
- The lack of credible experimental evaluation and validation.
- The split between industry practice and academic research.
We support a process to refound software engineering based on a solid theory, proven principles and best practices that:
- Include a kernel of widely-agreed elements, extensible for specific uses.
- Addresses both technology and people issues.
- Are supported by industry, academia, researchers and users.
- Support extension in the face of changing requirements and technology.